The Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests (GMUG) are providing one large tree for the West Lawn and 70+ smaller companion trees to adorn offices throughout Washington, D.C. for the 2020 holiday season. Thanks to Coloradans, we are on our way to provide 10,000 handmade ornaments to decorate the trees. Interested and inspired to make your own? There's still time to submit yours, but hurry: ornaments are respectfully requested by Sept. 1.
WHAT TO MAKE
Large and small ornaments are needed. Large should be 9-12 inches in size that are colorful, reflective and weatherproof to withstand the elements. Small ornaments should be 4-6 inches and be lightweight and colorful.
Here are our 2020 themes to help determine what ornament(s) you’d like to make.
1. SMOKEY BEAR—Smokey hat, face, fire prevention messages.
2. UNIQUELY COLORADO—State welcome sign, Colorado C, state symbols.
3. AGRICULTURE—Farming, ranching.
4. WILDLIFE—Deer, elk, moose, bighorn sheep.
5. PLANTS/FLOWERS—Cactus, flowers, trees.
6. RECREATION—Hunting, fishing, camping, skiing, snowmobiling, hiking, boating.
7. MINING—Gold, silver, coal, uranium, gypsum.
8. WATER—Lakes, streams, rivers, water uses, water sports, winter sports.
9. DINOSAURS AND FOSSILS—Stegosaurus, triceratops, fossils.
10. PLACES WE LOVE—Landscapes of Colorado
WHERE TO SEND THEM
Please make sure your ornaments are dry, boxed carefully so they don’t break and include a count of how many provided. Drop off or send in your ornaments to:
Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests
Attn: Cande Read, 2250 South Main Street, Delta, CO, 81416
*Please make arrangements prior to dropping off ornaments by contacting Cande Read (email or phone 970-874-6609).
Ornaments are DUE BY September, 1, 2020